ANNIKA E. S. MCGINNIS
443-980-8399 / email@example.com / @annikam93
Capital News Service, Public Affairs Reporter: Annapolis, Md. September 2014-Present
- Cover Maryland state politics, gambling and education, including on fall 2014 state election campaigns, for the wire service run by the Philip Merrill College of Journalism.
Reuters, Domestic Policy Reporting Intern and Stringer: Washington, D.C. June 2014-Present
- As a summer intern, reported spot and longer-term news in the White House and on Capitol Hill, including on Obama’s declaration of Iraq air strikes and General Motors’ key accidents.
- Completed enterprises on a shrinking federal poverty program, Congress’ budget and D.C. self-rule.
- Continue to cover weekend White House pool shifts, including events Obama attends.
USA TODAY, Business Reporting Intern: McLean, Va., September 2013-January 2014
- Reported daily and enterprise stories for the Money section in print and online.
- Covered the rollout of Affordable Care Act exchanges and Black Friday retail.
McClatchy Newspapers Washington Bureau, Reporting Intern: Washington, D.C. June-August 2012
- Covered daily stories on Capital Hill and on Obama and Marco Rubio speeches; completed an enterprise story on climate change in Latin America, including original reporting in Ecuador.
- Published stories and own photos in print and online; shot/edited a video on an AIDS protest.
The Diamondback, Asst. News Editor, Sr. Staff Writer and Copy Editor: College Park, Md. Spring 2012-Fall 2014
- Edited articles and created InDesign pages for the 17,000-circulation daily: April-December 2013.
- Wrote three stories/week covering city affairs since November 2012; copy-edited: January 2012-2013.
- Stories included covering a bomb threat, student-resident relations and local businesses.
Prince George’s Sentinel, Beat Reporter: Seabrook, Md. February 2012-December 2012
- Covered a local neighborhood and biweekly meetings of two city councils for the county paper.
Maryland Office of Tourism, Public Relations Intern: Baltimore, Md. October 2010-May 2011
- Wrote press releases; researched and wrote for e-newsletter This Month in Maryland.
The Washington Post’s Young Journalists Digital Workshop, Participant: Washington, D.C. August 2010
- Reported on Washington issues to create documentary and article for Washingtonpost.com.
UMD Global Semester in Washington, D.C. Program: College Park, Md. September 2014-Present
- Selective academic program combining a seminar on humanitarian response and an internship.
French Language House Immersion Program, College Park, Md. September 2013-Present
- Live in French-speaking apartment; weekly meetings on French culture and issues; cross-cultural events with other language groups.
Cours de Civilisation Française de La Sorbonne, Paris, France February-May 2014
- Studied French language and culture: writing/grammar, phonetics, literature, art, history and film.
UMD Alternative Breaks, College Park, Md. January 2012, May-June 2012, January 2013, January 2014
- Four two-week-long service trips to Guatemala, Ecuador and Haiti on community development.
- As an Alternative Break Leader, planned 2014 Haiti trip, including designing the itinerary with community partners, leading nightly reflections and leading yearlong service and education.
Amnesty International, Individual and Communities at Risk Intern: Washington, D.C. July 2013-September 2013
- Included initiating and designing an Instagram video campaign and Premiere Pro video fighting to release Iraqis on death row.
Soluciones Comunitarias, Social Entrepreneur Corps Intern: Granada, Nicaragua May 2013-July 2013
- Worked with small Nicaraguan businesses on marketing, creating brochures, logos and social media.
- Interviewed people in rural towns and trained women entrepreneurs in Spanish to give eye exams.
University of Maryland, Philip Merrill College of Journalism and Individual Studies
B.A. in Multiplatform Journalism, B.A. in International Development and B.A. in French anticipated December 2015.
Minor: International Development and Conflict Management. Banneker/Key Full Scholarship. GPA: 3.96/4.00.
- Honors Humanities: two-year living-learning program culminating in an individual Keystone project.
- UMD Banneker/Key Full Scholarship (2011-Present)
- National Merit Scholar Finalist, Maryland Distinguished Scholar (2011-Present)
- Certificate in Strategies and Tactics for the Base of the Pyramid, Soluciones Comunitarias (2013)
- Honors Humanities Keystone Grant; designed international youth literary magazine (2012)
- Primannum Honor Society; Alpha Lambda Delta: based on academic excellence (2012-Present)
- French (high intermediate level, spoken & written).
- Basic HTML/CSS, Final Cut, Premiere Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, iMovie, Audacity, Excel, social media.